Hi! My name is Oscar, I am 23 and I have diagnoses of Prader Willi Syndrome, Autism, ADHD and learning difficulties. My behaviour has been described as challenging, although I think that sometimes people just see my difficulties and don’t work to understand me as a whole person. I can get anxious and frustrated when I find things confusing or difficult, but most importantly I am smiley, excitable, enthusiastic and loving. I have a great sense of humour and I enjoy making people laugh. I am extremely sociable; my family say that I have always made friends wherever I go, and manage to make everyone smile with my happy-go-lucky personality. I love the over-the-top glitz and glamour of show business: I enjoy talking about and going to see musicals, and my absolute favourite TV programme is Strictly Come Dancing (each year my dad takes me to the show’s live tour – this is the best night of my year!). I am happiest when singing or dancing, and I used to be part of a choir for people like me. My family are really important to me, and I enjoy visits from my parents and sister, as well as extended family. My family have 2 dogs who I love to talk about and cuddle with – I find animals both calming and fascinating to learn about. I am an avid Manchester City fan, I enjoy watching them play on TV, following the scores and I find joining in football banter really makes me laugh. One day it would be amazing if I could be supported to watch a game at the Etihad. Day to day, I need to be kept busy: I like going on long walks and talking non-stop to my support workers the whole way – it really tires me out! I also enjoy bowling and horse riding. When I go riding, I love to learn all about the horses, how to look after them and feeding them apples! For a special treat (normally a birthday present), I enjoy booking a keeper experience at zoos, where I go with my staff to learn all about the animals and have a go at taking care of them. I love to talk and my loving nature means that I take a real interest in those around me.
Seco Support, support adults and young people with Learning Disabilities, Autism and Mental Health difficulties to live in their own homes in the community. They are a friendly and compassionate, person-centred company with significant experience in developing individual packages of support. They are looking for Support Workers to build my new team in Gateshead. I need staff for varying shifts patterns as I require 2-1 support during the day and at night. We currently require Full Time, Part Time and Bank staff. All staff must have flexibility and able to work days nights and weekends.
Overall objectives of the post:
To be part of a team providing support for adults and young people with Learning Disabilities, complex needs, mental health problems and/or who may exhibit challenging or offending behaviour. Enabling supported people to maximise individual potential for independence within the home and the community as appropriate. To help create a home environment that is happy, safe, empowering and stimulating ensuring the supported person has valued relationships in their life.
My teams key responsibilities are:
- To assist in my Personal Care
- To encourage me to develop life skills in relation to domestic task, social activities, money management and relations
- To support education and attendance
- To support me in a chosen area of occupation (if applicable)
- Carry out and support a range of household tasks including cleaning, cooking, washing, minor maintenance and repair tasks as directed, ensuring that high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times
- To participate in my assessments and help with the preparation of my individual plans, implementation of action plans and attending my reviews.
- To be fully conversant and act in accordance with Seco Support’s Policies, Procedures and systems
- Promote my personal autonomy ensuring this reflects my views, wishes and opinions.
- Record and inform management of any changes observed in my physical health or behaviour and assist with any necessary action in emergencies or where changes require medical attention
- Liaise as required with my family, advocates and professionals
- Comply with all of the legal responsibilities under Health and Safety legislation
- Be aware of and act in accordance with requirements and all internal rules relating to Health & Safety and hygiene, also fire service and Environmental Health Department regulations
- Carry out and support me with house administration
- Co-operate with and participate positively in staff activities and duties, including staff and house meetings, supervision session’s performance, review and training
- Undertake all other duties and tasks commensurate with scope and grade of post as directed by management
Seco Support is dedicated to providing support that is flexible and responsive to changing needs so this list is not exclusive.
What you need to work with me
An NVQ or equivalent and/or experience in complex care is preferred but full training will be provided through Seco Supports full induction programme and online learning.
The following attributes are a must as I am looking to recruit resilient, observant and likeminded Support Workers who are:
- Trustworthy – it is really important to me that I can build strong relationships with those around me and that I am able to feel happy and cared for with you
- Outgoing, bubbly and smiley
- Someone who cares for me and wants me to be happy; respects me for who I am and everything about me
- Structure and reliability – I need structure to allow me to feel safe and supported
- A good listener who is understanding and empathetic – I need someone to listen to my worries and views
- Funny, good sense of humour
- Proactive and creative – I would love for someone to help me find new activities to fill my time
- Eager to learn, open-mindedness and a problem-solver – working with me might bring new challenges or require creative solutions
- Encouraging and enthusiastic – sometimes when I am not feeling great, I will need staff to encourage me to do activities or tidy and clean my house
- Good communication skills – it is important that you are able to effectively communicate with my family, because after all they know and understand me better than anyone!
- Someone who is willing to join in with my interests
Full referencing and a full enhanced check of the Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) will be required for this position.
- An exceptionally strong hourly rate of £12.50
- Company pension
- Access to the ‘Employee Assistance Programme’
- Access to the Blue Light discount card
- Full Induction Programme
- Continuous learning and development
- Career progression
If you want to join my journey and be part of my team please complete an application. We look forward to hearing from you.