Hi My name is Marie I am 18 years old and I have PTSD, a diagnosis of attachment disorder, emerging personality disorder and significant challenging behaviour. Even with my emotional complexities, I am fun and compassionate and I have a keen interest in performing arts. Music is important to me, and I currently attend a contemporary dance class. I use this as a way to express myself, especially spoken word which I use as a way to regulate my emotions. I am looking to explore this further in the future with the support of my team. I am always looking for new skills and have recently started teaching myself British sign language and have picked it up really quickly. I am really creative and not just enjoy performing my music to my team, but I like to make get messy with arts and crafts. One of the biggest things in my life is to explore my imagination with my reborn dolls. I am not always on the go when I want quiet I like to wind down with Disney movies and children’s TV.
Seco Support, support adults and young people with Learning Disabilities, Autism and Mental Health difficulties to live in their own homes in the community. They are a friendly and compassionate, person-centred company with significant experience in developing individual packages of support. They are looking for Support Workers to add to my team. I need staff for varying shifts patterns as I require 3-1 support during the day and at night so anyone interested will need to be flexible.
Overall objectives of the post:
To be part of a team providing support for people with learning disabilities, complex needs, mental health problems and/or who may exhibit challenging or offending behaviour. Enabling supported people to maximise individual potential for independence within the home and the community as appropriate. To help create a home environment that is happy, safe, empowering and stimulating ensuring the supported person has valued relationships in their life
My teams key responsibilities are:
- To encourage me to develop life skills in relation to domestic task, social activities, money management and relations
- Carry out and support a range of household tasks including cleaning, cooking, washing, minor maintenance and repair tasks as directed, ensuring that high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times
- To participate in my assessments and help with the preparation of my individual plans, implementation of action plans and attending my reviews.
- To be fully conversant and act in accordance with Seco Support’s Policies, Procedures and systems
- Promote my personal autonomy ensuring this reflects my views, wishes and opinions.
- Record and inform management of any changes observed in my physical health or behaviour and assist with any necessary action in emergencies or where changes require medical attention
- Liaise as required with my family, advocates and professionals
- Comply with all of the legal responsibilities under Health and Safety legislation
- Be aware of and act in accordance with requirements and all internal rules relating to Health & Safety and hygiene, also fire service and Environmental Health Department regulations
- Carry out and support me with house administration
- Co-operate with and participate positively in staff activities and duties, including staff and house meetings, supervision session’s performance, review and training
- Undertake all other duties and tasks as directed by management
Seco Support is dedicated to providing support that is flexible and responsive to changing needs so this list is not exclusive.
What you need to work with me
An NVQ or equivalent or knowledge and experience of trauma is preferred but a willingness to learn is essential. Full training will be provided through Seco Supports full induction programme and online learning. In addition to this my team receive monthly psychoeducation and regular Play therapy education sessions.
Training will include:
- Emotional dysregulation including how to model emotional regulation
- Attachment Theory and how to enable secure attachments within relationships
- Therapeutic support with a compassionate and curious attitude
- Trauma informed approach depending on skills not time frames
- Trauma stabilisation
Strong relationships are important to me but I need time to get to trust you, so please be patient with me when you first start. I need to know you are going to be there for me and be able to keep me safe when I am feeling low. With this in mind it is important I get the right type of people to support me. Ideally, I am looking for people with one of more of the following attributes;
- Be committed to me when I am having a challenging time
- A great Listener
- Able to stick by me
- Able to put my needs first
- Someone who genuinely cares for me and won’t hurt me
- To be available to work days nights and weekends
Full referencing and a full enhanced check of the Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) will be required for this position.
- An exceptionally strong rate of pay at £11.50 per Hour
- Company pension
- Access to the ‘Employee Assistance Programme’
- Access to the Blue Light discount card
- Full Induction Programme
- Continuous learning and development
- Career progression
If you want to join my journey and be part of my team please complete an application. We look forward to hearing from you.