This position has a “genuine occupational requirement” covered under the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 and therefore only applicants from Females can be considered
Hi! My name is Jade, and I am 36 years old. I am Autistic with associated sensory, communication challenges and I experience heightened anxiety and at times display behaviour as a method to communicate pain, distress, or boredom. I enjoy spending time with people who I trust and know will keep me safe, but this needs to be on my own terms, as I also enjoy my own space. I have a close relationship with my mum and my brother, who visit regularly. I am a keen horse rider and enjoy going riding once per week. I also love going swimming and equally enjoy temperature-controlled baths daily.
I require support with all aspects of my daily living including personal care and toileting, but my independence should be encouraged. I can do lots of things by myself if I am given time and encouragement. I communicate well through Makaton and gestures, as I am non-verbal. I will communicate when I need space or am feeling frightened of a place or person. It is important to me that my team are able to communicate effectively with me, and Makaton training will be provided before you support me.
I like getting out and about, and I have a mobility car to enable me to do that, so it would be an advantage if you have a driving license. I do also enjoy walks or drives in the countryside, cinema trips, the safari park, farms and general pampering days- I have a foot-spa and love having my nails done! When in the home, I like to listen to music on my iPod or on the stereo in my bedroom, watch a musical film, do a jigsaw or puzzles on the iPad. I have a craft room at my home and enjoy doing crafts in there. I also really enjoy baking with support from staff. previously, I have gone on short breaks to Centre parks and caravan holidays, and I would love to start doing this again once I feel comfortable with my support team.
It is important that the people who work with me have a genuine passion for helping people to reach their full potential and achieve a meaningful quality of life. I can be very nervous around strangers and it will take me some time to feel safe around you and know that I can trust you. I need you to be patient, understanding and empathetic. It is also important that you are calm and confident when supporting me. Positive relationships take time to build, but once its there, the trust will follow.
Seco Support, support adults and young people with Learning Disabilities, Autism and Mental Health difficulties to live in their own homes in the community. They are a friendly and compassionate, person-centered company with significant experience in developing individual packages of support. They are looking for Support Workers as I need support 2:1 During the day, with 1 sleepover and 1 waking night during the night.
Overall objectives of the post:
To be part of a team providing support for people with learning disabilities, complex needs, mental health problems and/or who may exhibit challenging or offending behaviour. Enabling supported people to maximise individual potential for independence within the home and the community as appropriate. To help create a home environment that is happy, safe, empowering and stimulating ensuring the supported person has valued relationships in their life
My teams key responsibilities are:
- To encourage me to develop life skills in relation to domestic task, social activities, money management and relations.
- Carry out and support a range of household tasks including cleaning, cooking, washing, minor maintenance and repair tasks as directed, ensuring that high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times.
- To participate in my assessments and help with the preparation of my individual plans, implementation of action plans and attending my reviews.
- To be fully conversant and act in accordance with Seco Support’s Policies, Procedures and systems
- Promote my personal autonomy ensuring this reflects my views, wishes and opinions.
- Record and inform management of any changes observed in my physical health or behaviour and assist with any necessary action in emergencies or where changes require medical attention
- Liaise as required with my family, advocates, and professionals.
- Comply with all of the legal responsibilities under Health and Safety legislation.
- Be aware of and act in accordance with requirements and all internal rules relating to Health & Safety and hygiene, also fire service and Environmental Health Department regulations
- Carry out and support me with house administration.
- Co-operate with and participate positively in staff activities and duties, including staff and house meetings, supervision session’s performance, review, and training.
- Undertake all other duties and tasks as directed by management.
- Work in line with CQC legislation and guidelines.
Seco Support is dedicated to providing support that is flexible and responsive to changing needs, so this list is not exclusive.
What you need to work with me
Experience in complex supported living services, residential services, or hospital settings and a NVQ level 2 in Health and Social care or equivalent is preferred but full training will be provided through Seco Supports induction process.
I would like my new Support Workers to have the following likes and attributes;
- Open Mindedness
- Problem solving Skills.
- A Proactive nature
- Passion for supporting people with complex needs.
- Ability to adapt their communication to meet my needs and preferences.
- Driving Licence (essential)
Full referencing and a full enhanced check of the Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) will be required for this position.
If you want to join my journey and support me to lead the life I want to lead, please complete an application. We look forward to hearing from you.
- Seco offer exceptionally strong hourly rate of £12.50
- Company pension
- Access to the ‘Employee Assistance Programme’
- Access to a Health Cash Plan
- Access to the Blue Light discount card
- Full Induction Programme
- Continuous learning and development
- Career progression
*Please note we are not an agency and unfortunately do not provide sponsorship
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Salary: £12.50 per hour
- Casual dress
- Health & wellbeing programme
- Store discount
- Every weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift
- Night shift
Work Location: In person