Hi! My name is Hannah, I am 24 and I have a learning disability and a frontal lobe impairment which can cause me to struggle to process information, this can cause anxiety and frustrations. I can occasionally present with behaviours that challenge and need a resilient staff team to help with support and reassurance throughout this. I currently have 2:1 support but am very independent. I have been described as funny, kind, thoughtful and inquisitive. I am a girly girl and really love pamper activities such as getting my hair and makeup done, getting acrylic nails and getting tattooed. I am currently looking to get enrolled on a hair and beauty course in September after completing an online nail course last year. I am a motivated and active person who loves being out and about often spending time in the metro centre and town, I am a known shop-a-holic and often encourage my staff to join in. I also love going to the beach and spending time at the park, however I do love a lazy day in the house. When I want to relax, I like to watch reality TV and listen to my favourite music from Ed Sheeran and Little Mix, often singing very loudly along with them! I have a strong mind and I am not afraid to speak up for myself. I am close to my family, often spending a lot of time on the phone to them and visiting my Mam at her house. I have a pet house rabbit called Daisy who I care for independently. In the future I would love to access the community more, meeting people my age and building relationships with others.
Seco Support, support adults and young people with Learning Disabilities, Autism and Mental Health difficulties to live in their own homes in the community. They are a friendly and compassionate, person-centred company with significant experience in developing individual packages of support. They are looking for Support Workers with similar interests to build my new team in Newcastle. I need staff for varying shifts patterns as I require 2-1 support during the day and at night. We currently require Part Time staff for 24 hours per week. All staff must have flexibility and able to work days nights and weekends.
Overall objectives of the post:
To be part of a team providing support for adults and young people with Learning Disabilities, complex needs, mental health problems and/or who may exhibit challenging or offending behaviour. Enabling supported people to maximise individual potential for independence within the home and the community as appropriate. To help create a home environment that is happy, safe, empowering and stimulating ensuring the supported person has valued relationships in their life.
My teams key responsibilities are:
1. To encourage me to develop life skills in relation to domestic task, social activities, money management and relations
2. To support education and attendance
3. To support me in a chosen area of occupation (if applicable)
4. Carry out and support a range of household tasks including cleaning, cooking, washing, minor maintenance and repair tasks as directed, ensuring that high standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained at all times
5. To participate in my assessments and help with the preparation of my individual plans, implementation of action plans and attending my reviews.
6. To be fully conversant and act in accordance with Seco Support’s Policies, Procedures and systems
7. Promote my personal autonomy ensuring this reflects my views, wishes and opinions.
8. Record and inform management of any changes observed in my physical health or behaviour and assist with any necessary action in emergencies or where changes require medical attention
9. Liaise as required with my family, advocates and professionals
10. Comply with all of the legal responsibilities under Health and Safety legislation
11. Be aware of and act in accordance with requirements and all internal rules relating to Health & Safety and hygiene, also fire service and Environmental Health Department regulations
12. Carry out and support me with house administration
13. Co-operate with and participate positively in staff activities and duties, including staff and house meetings, supervision session’s performance, review and training
14. Undertake all other duties and tasks commensurate with scope and grade of post as directed by management
Seco Support is dedicated to providing support that is flexible and responsive to changing needs so this list is not exclusive.
What you need to work with me
An NVQ or equivalent and/or experience in complex care is preferred but full training will be provided through Seco Supports full induction programme and online learning.
The following attributes are a must as I am looking to recruit resilient, observant and likeminded Support Workers who are:
- Someone who cares for me and wants me to be happy
- Structure and reliability
- A good listener who is understanding and empathetic
- Funny, good sense of humour
- Eager to learn, open-mindedness and a problem-solver
- Encouraging and enthusiastic
- Good communication skills
- Someone who is willing to join in with my interests
Full referencing and a full enhanced check of the Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) will be required for this position.
- An exceptionally strong hourly rate of £11.00, increasing to £12.00 in April 2024
- Company pension
- Access to the ‘Employee Assistance Programme’
- Access to a Health Cash Plan
- Access to the Blue Light discount card
- Full Induction Programme
- Continuous learning and development
- Career progression
If you want to join my journey and be part of my team please complete an application. We look forward to hearing from you.
* Please note we are not a recruitment agency and currently do not offer sponsorship. *
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent
Salary: £11.00-12.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Health & wellbeing programme
- Referral programme
- Store discount
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
Work Location: In person